Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Oh Brazil, How I love Thee..

One word. Wow. Carnival was one of the most amazing experienes of my entire life and I will surely be back again next year! Carnival really is THE biggest party on the planet and New Orleans has got absolutely nothing on Rio. I wish I could fully convey my experiences through the follwing but it is just not possible.

Please bear with me as I am in a VERY strange Chilean cafe while writing this.

Derek and I stayed at the El Misti Hostel in Botafogo Beach which was QUITE interesting. Upon arrival, we were placed into the Female Dorm (aye, aye, aye)!! We met people from all over the world at El Misti.. Places such as Norway, UK, Finland, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Chile, and Brazil of course. For the most part, we never met another person from the US! With a few exceptions (me), most people at the hostel (about 80 total) had quit their jobs to travel for months on end. Crazy!

We frequented the "Blocos", which are dozens of organized street parties occuring all over the city. Hundreds and hundreds of people would follow a huge truck which played live Samba music while traveling around the block. Lots of drinking (fortunately, I am keeping a journal) and Street-Meat involved. The Blocos were nothing short of amazing!! Costumes were a must. I wore waterwings and a snorkel.. for 4 consecutive days.. oh so goofy. However, the costume seemed to do the trick with the ladies because I have never gotten so much attention....

Brazillian women LOVE to kiss. Oh, and did I mention that they are the most stunning people on the planet?

At one particular Bloco in the Centro part of Rio- I met a group of local Brazillians that truely touched my heart. We ended up spending several days and nights laughing, singing (Dancing Queen), drinking and dancing together. My absolute favorite night in Rio was spent at a BBQ at Leos house. We danced and sang until the sun came up! This group of people had some of the kindest hearts of anyone on this earth. I really appreciated how genuine they all are.

I will NEVER forget Pedro, Julia, Leo, Kimon and Juliana. I love you guys!!

Pedro is The International William Charles, by the way. We are just like brothers!

The Sambadromo was also a spectacular event. You really need to see it to believe it. A parade of THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people from different Samba Schools around the area perform with the most intricate and ornate floats Ive ever seen. Some of the floats were fun and had skiers tearing up a slope- while others were highly controversial consisting of dead babies and bloody births.. yuck.

Dont get the wrong idea. Derek and I didnt just drink the whole time. We hiked up Urca Mountain- neighbor of the world famous Pao de Azucar or Sugar Loaf and took the tram. We saw the famous Christo Statue.. so quintessential to Rio. We visited the beaches of Copacobana and Ipanema. We also took the Trolley up into the hilly town of Santa Teresa.. so beautiful!!


Rio De Janiero is truely spectacular with seemingly endless amusing activities.

With such sweet memories of Rio, I am absolutely destined to return!!

No comments:

Post a Comment